Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Getting Started

My intention was to start a blog to help motivate myself and hold myself accountable, in order to do so I feel that I owe my readers an explanation. Here it is…
Long story short, I was an extremely active teenager (playing soccer 24/7) with terrible eating habits who turned into a moderately active adult with terrible eating habits and a slowing metabolism… HELLO!
I slowly and steadily put on weight. I eventually crept up to 212lbs. As side note, I always vowed I wouldn’t tell anyone that, and here I am posting it up on the internet… Crazy but I hope that I can help motivate others because you never know if there is another moderately active 5’5” adult weighing 212lbs that is looking to make a positive change. 

My real journey started about two years ago. I saw this picture of myself.

I literally started crying! How
did I let this get so bad!!
I was almost unrecognizable. Immediately my eyes filled with tears and I thought: who is this person?! Initially, after the sting of the photo dissipated, I went into denial, it must have been a bad photo, and I couldn’t possibly look like the stay puff marshmallow man had interjected fluff into my face could I?
Then another photo surfaced, and I knew something had to change.

This is "the other"
photo!
Soon after I decided it was time to shed some weight, I was diagnosed by OBGYN with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). This is a syndrome that affects women to varying degrees in ways of weight gain/inability to lose weight, acne, and infertility. Sounds like a trifecta right! So I had a tough road ahead of me.

I worked out on an off since I graduated high school with one of my best friends. Katie and I always support each other and she has been a big part of my journey (as have all my other family, friends and of course my Hubby!). So when it came time to pick a new gym I was eager to start at the GOLDS GYM of Webster with her. Working out was the easy part, I had always been an athlete and my muscle memory was good. I struggled with my diet. It was always the hardest part, but I forced myself to put down the Mountain Dew and pick up the water.
The weight came off painfully slow at first, but I persisted. I had lost 6-8lbs my first 3 months. Eventually I joined weight watchers, and that helped a lot. Working out made me feel so good.  So I never gave up and here I stand 2 years later and more than 40lbs lighter. I saw 169 for the first time since I was 21. I am proud of myself but I want to push myself further. I am challenging myself to forever change my eating habits.
I downloaded Tosca Reno’s Eating Clean Diet Recharged to my kindle and I am intrigued. I am going to give it a try for 6 weeks while also watching my carb intake. I am not going to cut them out completely because I do need them for mental clarity and energy. Bikini body here I come!
Here is a picture of me from St. Patty’s day this year (2012).


7 comments:

  1. you look amazing jess!!! keep up the hard work!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're Amazing!! I miss your face :) And Thank You!

      Delete
  2. Jess you look great! I love the blog! I think it's a great idea! Stay positive:) I always try to remember when I am always doing the negative self talk to myself or when ppl are getting me down ... " what you think about, you bring about" so think about great things and see yourself in that bikini girl! And your an awesome person inside too, the most important part:) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you! You haven't let anything get you down and you have (quite literally) WORKED YOUR ASS OFF to get exactly what you want! I'm inspired and motivated by you; You're an amazing person, a great friend, a hard worker, and of course, the best sister! I love you sissy!

    Keep going!

    ReplyDelete